JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson

A Confederacy of Dunces

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole I started reading this because I'd heard that several attempts have been made to turn this into a movie, but none have progressed at all. After reading the first few chapters and promptly returning it to the library, I am glad the movie hasn't happened.

The main character is unsufferably obnoxious! He's not merely annoying - he's judgmentally infantile! He comes across as a mentally-challenged person (i.e., retard) who thinks he's superior to everyone else, intellectually and otherwise. Coupling this moronic snot with his enabling mother, I doubt I've found any more contempible people in any fiction.

I'm not sure where the humor is supposed to exist in this book. Wherever it is, my time (and the time of others who might bother to read this review) is too valuable to waste trying to find it in this book.