JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson

Psych: A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read

A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read - William Rabkin I'd like to start off by stating that the reason I read this was because my wife, during the whole time she was reading it, kept saying how horrible it was. I was curious to find out just how horrible.

My verdict: not that bad.

For me, my main complaint was that the narration sucked (e.g., lengthy, pointless filer observations, that added little - if anything - to the story) An example from page 36:
"When Shawn shouted, Gus was at least thirty feet in front of him. Since sound travels at seven hundred seventy miles per hour, it took his voice at least one thirty-fifth of a second to reach Gus. Maybe a fraction more, since he was accelerating away from Shawn, and there was the Doppler effect to consider. Even after Gus heard Shawn's voice, it would have taken another .028 of a second for the meaning of the word to penetrate his brain..."
...and on like this for 50+ more words! [Also, one thirty-seventh of a second would have been more accurate, but why not just say 0.0265 seconds or some other ridiculous split-second conversion of feet divided by the speed of sound in mph?]

Not the only example, but definitely the most egregious, and would probably win a Bulwer-Lytton award if it were the opening line of the book.

Also, this particular writer obviously has a penchant for emphasizing and dwelling on the physical assets of the female minor characters (while, ironically/hypocritically, criticizing Shawn for objectifying the main female characters in the show).

I did, however, enjoy most of the book, especially by challenging myself to read the dialogue as quickly (i.e., snappy repartee) as they do in the show. Unlike most episodes, it had multiple storylines/cases going on concurrently, which made it a little difficult to follow what was going on, but also served to divert attention long enough to make you wonder if any of them were red herrings.

Overall, it was not the most solid read, but it was a decent novelization of a TV show.