JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas

Redshirts - John Scalzi Although I like Scalzi's writing and topics, this one was just not quite up to his usual standards.

Yes, it was quite funny (given the topic - ensigns on a starship keep dying on away missions, yet the "main characters" always survive - how could it not be?), filled with Scalzi's typical realistic dialogue (think: Buffyspeak). But I think he might have bitten off more than he could chew with this "high concept" piece. Sadly, it's one of those cases where the concept of the work is better than the work itself (think: any Christopher Moore book).

Additionally, it seemed too short - more of a novella than a regular-sized novel (or maybe I just read it too quickly).

I enjoyed it, and I do think it is worth reading (especially for the three codas - that was an interesting literary challenge, with varying degrees of success), although not as good as the Old Man's War series. In fact, not even as complete and well-done as Fuzzy Nation or The Android's Dream. (To be fair, he is one of my favorite authors, so maybe I'm just expecting too much from him now.)

Read it - you'll enjoy it (just not as much as most of his other books).