JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson

Agent to the Stars

Agent to the Stars - John Scalzi I love sci-fi. I also love pop culture. So when I heard about a book that pokes fun of Hollywood (think "Get Shorty") while also detailing first contact, I was curious. When I read that the author, Scalzi; John, calls this book "the book that won't die", I became even more curious. Now that I've read it, I want to see it made into a movie.

It has aliens, self-centered agents, annoying reporters, vapid and even more self-centered actors - and they're all wrapped together into an intelligent and emotionally-charged story that gives you the Hollywood ending you'd expect in an unexpected way. It'll make you think about "how would we react to meeting aliens" while also making you think about the Holocaust, end-of-life ethics, and creative problem-solving. (An odd combination, but it works wonderfully.)

Read, enjoy, and wait for the inevitable movie. You'll love it.