JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson

A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller Jr. An amazing novel (or trilogy of novelas)!

This book encapsulated many things that hit home to me: anxiety about the future (and far-future), civilization rebooting, the Church as protector and guardian of humans and human heritage, musing about Biblical characters, and if we start colonizing other planets, how soon before we send missionaries as well?

Just an incredible, scholarly book that raises both hopes and fears. It gives a nod to the potential of humanity for good, while also acknowledging we are all members of a fallen race.

On the advice of the forward to this edition, I'm going to mark this as a book to read again in 10+ years.