JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson
SPOILER ALERT!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Grahame-Smith At first, I expected that the whole zombie premise might get old after a while. And although there wasn't as much zombie slaying as I was expecting (which is a good thing), what I was not expecting was all the additional details thrown around the general "zombie apocalypse" setting: the Bennett sisters' training in the deadly arts by Shaolin monks; Lady Catherine de Bourgh's ninja bodyguards; the Asian influences in England, right down to most houses having their own dojo; and the fact that these were interlaced throughout Jane Austen's actual words (not just weaved around the general storyline or characters). I literally read 2 books at the same time - this one and Jane Austen's [b:Pride and Prejudice|1885|Pride and Prejudice|Jane Austen|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tsj1sZS1L._SL75_.jpg|3060926] - in order to compare and contrast what things were changed and how much of the original source material was kept.

The best (and funniest) part for me, though, was the ending of the book. I do not mean to imply that there is some kind of "big boss battle" as a final vanquishing of all zombies - the novel actually ends the same way as Austen's original. I mean AFTER the ending of the story, there is additional material which is, by far, the funniest part of the book (especially for anyone who had to read the original for an Advanced Placement English course).

It's silly, it's crass (e.g., after Mr. Darcy had lent some ammunition to Elizabeth, she returned them to him saying, "your balls, Mr. Darcy" to which he replied, "they are yours, Miss Bennett" and they blush), it's ridiculous - and it'll get you to read a classic that you may have otherwise avoided. Enjoy!