JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson

I'm Not Really Here

I'm Not Really Here - Tim Allen Having enjoyed Tim Allen's first book, I got this book, expecting more comedy. Instead, I got a big dose of Deepak Chopra "reality is a myth" pseudo-philosophy, combined with an attempt at understanding quantum mechanics, with a side of humor. Unfortunately, it gives a barely passable attempt at the humor, while making a mess of the philosophy - so much so that I couldn't bring myself to add a tag of "non-fiction" to this book.

This book is closely related to the fictional book "Why Do You Think You Think" in the excellent Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, which states things like:
Thought is a primitive superstition. Reason is an irrational idea... What you think you think is an illusion created by your glands, your emotions,... A scientist knows that a stone is not a stone at all - it is, in fact, identical with a feather pillow. Both are only a cloud formation of the same invisible, whirling particles... Are we going to be stopped by a syllogism? ... Are you going to endanger the harmony of your community - your fellowship with your neighbors, your standing, reputation, good name, and financial security - for the sake of an illusion? (Part II, Chapter 1)

Rand demonstrated the inherent evil in this fallacy, but Allen sees it as a source of comedic material, all while presenting it as a great, new wisdom he has stumbled upon because he read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

The strength of true philosophy (like that of Thomas Aquinas) is, in the words of G.K. Chesterton, that reality is, in fact, real. It is the strength of Thomism, and it is the fatal flaw of this book.

If you're looking for good philosophy, try Chesterton's Saint Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox. If you're simply looking for humor, there's much better mental chewing gum out there than this book.