JamieBeu

Books with a Beu

Jamie Beu, owner and co-author (with his wife) of CatholicFamily.info, is a "cradle Catholic", devoted husband, and father of two girls. He is a regular contributor to his parish newsletter, as well as an impassioned defender of the faith who is able to both support and challenge others as necessary -- all in an effort to build-up Christ's Kingdom on Earth. To this end, he does a lot of reading - not just of religious books (for education and research), but also of secular books, both to decompress as well as to keep a finger on the pulse of pop culture (the better to relate to others, as well as to help restore the culture).

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know
Meg Meeker, Meg Meeker
Hyperion
Dan Simmons
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
'John Townsend', 'Henry Cloud'
Boundaries Face to Face: How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding
Henry Cloud
Truth and Tolerance: Christian Belief and World Religions
Pope Benedict XVI
Is Jesus Coming Soon?: A Catholic Perspective on the Second Coming
Ralph Martin
Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
Isaac Asimov
Autobiography of a Saint: Therese of Lisieux
Thérèse de Lisieux, Ronald A. Knox, Vernon Johnson

Ringworld

Ringworld  - Larry Niven I remember picking this book from the library and thinking "Oh! This must have been the basis for the game 'Halo'." After reading it, however, I realized that this book was also the basis for other video games, such as the "Wing Commander" series of games and (for at least one interesting plot twist) "Master of Orion 2". (I won't put any spoilers in this review, but the twist has to do with an odd trait that you can add to your custom race in MOO2.)

The book was a fun read with a few "deus ex machinae" to get around potential problems before they ever come up, but if you are willing to suspend disbelief enough to imagine a world that is 93 million miles in radius, I don't think you'll have much problem with some of the other plot work-arounds.

All in all, a fun book that is sure to fire the imagination, but not really that much of a hard sci-fi (i.e., "this might happen in our future") novel.